The Universidade do Porto (university of Oporto) was founded on the 22nd of March 1911. It was based on two higher education Institutions created in the 19th Century: the "Escola Médico-Cirúrgica" and the "Academia Politécnica". The renowned mathematician Gomes Teixeira was its first elected Rector.
In the early stages of its history the U.Porto consisted of the Faculty of Exact Sciences (Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and History and Natural Sciences), the Faculty of Medicine (with an affiliated School of Pharmacy) and the Faculty of Commerce. The Faculty of Sciences also included a School of Engineering.
At present, the university attracts a student population of approximately 28.000 students, distributed by 15 schools endowed with considerable autonomy.
The university confers approximately 60 different initial degrees in the various domains of its academic activity, as well as more than 120 post-graduate courses. It employs about 2.000 teachers and 1.200 technical and administrative staff.
The university’s infrastructures are located mostly in three different areas (“pólos”), which include schools, halls of residence and sports facilities. A few of its institutes and departments can be found elsewhere in the city.
The Universidade do Porto carries out quality research in all fields of study, in a significant number of highly rated research units.
The development of strong links with the community has been one of the university’s major concerns. Examples of these include protocols with the city council, the Planetarium and the Campo Alegre Theatre.
A strong commitment to internationalisation is another driving force in the development of the Universidade do Porto. A variety of networks and cooperation protocols connect it with other universities around the world. Other aspects of its current international positioning include a growing student flow within the scope of EU mobility programmes, and a broad range of exchange programmes involving teaching staff and researchers.
For more information, go to:
Here are some photographs of the conference venues:
Faculty of Letters