Spanish and Portuguese Society for English Renaissance Studies
Sociedad Hispano-Portuguesa de Estudios Renacentistas Ingleses
Sociedade Hispano-Portuguesa de Estudos Renascentistas Ingleses
21st International Conference
Faculdade de Letras, Universidade do Porto
22-24 April 2010
‘Ports, and piers and roads’:
Self and World in Early Modern Culture
Confirmed keynote speakers:
Stephen Greenblatt (Harvard University)
Andrew Gurr (University of Reading)
Ton Hoenselaars (Universiteit Utrecht)
Diane Purkiss (University of Oxford)
Ramie Targoff (Brandeis University)
The Spanish and Portuguese Society for English Renaissance Studies (SEDERI) invites you to attend its 2010 conference at the Universidade do Porto, in Portugal.
The conference theme, ‘Ports, and piers and roads’: Self and World in Early Modern Culture, reflects the currency that notions of space, place, and identity have gained within literary and cultural studies.
Suggested topics include:
• enabling elsewheres: selves in transit
• self and other in the Early Modern world
• self, discourse and knowledge
• space and representation: texts and maps
• spaces of performance: stage and world
• intermedial territories: Early Modern writing and other arts
• Early Modern texts and their afterlives: from page to screen and cyberspace
• language, space and identity
• dislocations, traductions, translations
Proposals for twenty-minute papers are welcome on these and other aspects of Early Modern culture.
Please include the following information with your proposal:
• the full title of your paper;
• a 200-250 word description of your paper;
• your name, postal address and e-mail address;
• your institutional affiliation and position;
• any AV requirements you might have;
• your SEDERI membership status (i.e. present member, membership to be renewed, non-member, membership application submitted/to be submitted*).
(* to join SEDERI, go to www.sederi.org)
Participants may also want to propose their own thematic panels, to include papers delivered by 3 or 4 participants. Panel convenors should submit their proposal in broad observance of the criteria itemised above for individual proposals.
Please submit your proposal by e-mail to the organising committee of SEDERI 2010 at email@example.com
Please send your submission in plain text in the body of your e-mail and as an attachment in a Word document.
Deadline for proposals: 18 December 2009
Confirmation of acceptance 15 January 2010
Deadline for registration: 20 March 2010 (a late registration fee will apply beyond this date)
SEDERI members: € 90 (regular registration) € 100 (late registration)
Non- members: € 110 (regular registration) € 120 (late registration)
Students (student affiliation required): € 65
Registration details will be posted online in January 2010.
All delegates are responsible for their own travel arrangements and accommodation. Relevant information will be provided later on the conference website –